Look For The Helpers



After the type of week we experienced last week, it would be easy to feel depressed about the direction humanity is headed. With man-made bombs intentionally going off in Boston, Iraq, Pakistan, and Afghanistan, and an unintentional bomb exploding in West, Texas all this violence and hate is enough to give you the sense that things are going very wrong. But, as is usually the case in life, focusing on these scenes of destruction really doesn’t give us the full picture. Even during all the turmoil there were people doing good things, helping total strangers, proving just how great people can be when they are motivated by a sense of purpose. As I watched the news coverage for the Boston Marathon bombing, I couldn’t help but be reminded of a famous quote by Mr. Rogers:


"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."  

Just minutes after the bombs went off you could see several people running toward the smoke, looking for ways to help. They were there, the helpers, proving that even at the darkest moments there are those shining a light.

Maybe your work environment, too, feels chaotic and filled with turmoil. Maybe you feel hopeless and depressed by the changes you see all around you. Perhaps you need to take a tip from Mr. Rogers and look for the helpers in your office, for those who are trying to make things better. If you don’t see any, then maybe it’s time for you to become a helper.

I would love to hear your stories of the helpers in your life. Use the comments below to tell me about a time when you, or someone you know, jumped headlong into a moment of crisis.

Remember, you can change...we can help!


No comments: